Monday, 20 August 2012

Sandplover Central - Mersing 17/08/2012.


Today I managed to get to Mersing to cover the run up, roost and the run off of the high tide. The southern beach roost  moved further down the beach today and made viewing conditions a little tricky to say the least with the strong / harsh light. The roost got disturbed and then the waders spooked and headed over the northern beach. I followed  them and after going through the flock of waders I decided to settle in for the long haul and stayed with the post roosting flock. I am really getting in to these Sandplovers now and found myself really enjoying this (what I believe) to be challenging group. The adult above and 2 shots below allowed some real nice close viewing. Notice how abraded and "shot" looking the coverts are.




Above shows you a stunning juvenile Greater Sandplover - see below.
Just check out this absolutely stunning juvenile Greater Sandplover, when I first picked this beauty up it was sitting in amongst the roosting group and I just had to get some photos, it took about 45 minutes of manoeuvring slowly to enable me to get close enough and to wait for the bird to begin foraging. I literally could not take my eyes off of this individual. Just look at it, it is mouth watering stuff and these photos do not do the bird justice.




Please note that all photos taken in this post were taken with my 7D, balancing it against the eye piece of my scope. Also not that my 7D has now packed up with the back LCD screen now not working so I can not check photos until I get back and down load them on to the computer. This is looking like it will cost me 2-300 GBP if this is the only problem.



Above photo shows you just on a quarter of the way along north beach after the tide had really began to retreat and the waders had dispersed with the photo below showing the bay area of north beach as I was sadly leaving for the day. I spent 6 hours on site today and it went too fast.

Todays Totals as follows:

Lesser Sandplover c800+ (increase in numbers including at least 6 juveniles including 1 flag-colour ringed individual)

Greater Sandplover c 200- (increase in numbers including at least 5 juveniles)

Terek Sandpiper 140+ (increase in numbers)
Great Knot 2 (first summers)
Turnstone 5 adults (increase in numbers)
Common Sandpiper 11 (increase in numbers)
Red Necked Stint 1 adult (first of the return / autumn passage)
Whimbrel 1 (first of the return / autumn passage)
Pacific Golden Plover 2 adults (first of the return autumn passage)
Curlew Sandpiper 1 adult (first of the return / autumn passage)
Malaysian Plover 1 ad.

Great Crested Tern 102 all adults.
Little Tern 4
Common Tern 3


No comments:

Post a Comment